The children's tablet comes in three categories in the IT market:
The normal tablet with an overlay for children
Samsung emerged from other names by manufacturing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids touch pad in 2013 with an easy use. Indeed, he created an interface specially developed for children within that of parents. This first tablet was under Android 4.1.
But this kind of tablet is a bit outdated. The material used is identical to that intended for adults. The child overlay allows the tablet to start on the child environment where the browser is generally secure and where the applications are dedicated. Tipping is easy for parents to use the tablet.
In this case, the manufacturer sells his equipment, this of course has a beneficial effect on the price because there will be no other investments in the applications.
The specific tablet for children
The tablet fully designed for children has been adopted by several manufacturers. The design of the material is different from that of the adult tablet since the tablet has a closed architecture with limited power. In reality, the manufacturer sells his tablet at a ridiculous price because it is not the tablet which brings him the expected profit but it is the specific content that does this. The technical capacities are not equivalent to those of an ordinary tablet. But they are always sufficient to run all the applications designed especially for this tablet.
The classic tablet
It’s a choice parents can make. They can either opt for a tablet that has a child mode already installed by the manufacturer (Samsung does this on their new tablets) or install this child mode themselves. Of course, the tablet is more robust in this case. But parents must secure the tablet with powerful parental controls.
Factors in choosing the tablet
The factors of choice of any tablet are numerous. Its price largely depends on this number. The main thing is to consider the following points before any purchase:
The human eye chooses first. For this, design has its place especially for children.
The tablet must be solid because the child may drop it at any time. If the tablet breaks when it falls, it's disastrous for parents. It is for this reason that the tablet is always equipped with a protective shell.
Generally suitable for children, the tablet should be easy to handle and suitable for their hands.
It is preferable to use the tablet which turns on a rechargeable battery.
What you want to do with your tablet is the factor that determines the choice of memory. It is not advisable to invest in an expensive tablet if you only use a quarter or half of your memory. Some manufacturers offer the possibility of expansion to the installed memory.
The safety of a good use of the tablet by the child irreparably passes by the choice of an adequate parental control. Most manufacturers of children's tablets have powerful parental controls. This parental control can be combined with a control of the time of use of the tablet.
For the tablet dedicated to children, some applications are already installed for purchase. To have others, you will have to go through the manufacturer's store and buy them. For the normal tablet, the choice is vast and free apps for children abound on the net.
No child or normal tablet is perfect. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Based on this fact, we preferred the following tablets from the range of tablets that exist on the market:
- Vtech Storio Max XL 2.0 - Kurio Gulli Connect - Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Vtech Storio Max XL 2.0
The Vtech Storio Max XL 2.0 tablet is a hybrid tablet. The manufacturer has taken advantage of new innovations in two areas, that of hardware and that of software.
It is intended for children from two to eleven years old.
The technical part looks like this:
- Android system, - Wide 7-inch HD screen, multi-touch, - Internal memory of 8 GB which can be increased up to 40 GB, - Design with flexible cover, - eBook reader, - Educational games, - Coloring and drawing studio, - Camera and camcorder, - Music player, - Video player, - Secure internet browsing, - Wi-Fi access, - Game time management, - Scalable (application and game cartridges), - Built-in battery, - TV connection via HDMI.
The visual looks like this:
- Soft cover or shell to protect the screen, - 7-inch screen remarkable for its quality of finish, - A retractable stand to hold in reading or viewing position.
The most is here:
- The battery recharges from its standard mini USB port, - A Wi-Fi module allows access to the internet with a secure browser, - The Kid Connect application allows you to communicate (chat) with parents, - The battery charges in 4 hours and remains autonomous for 10 hours.
The problem is here:
- 20 applications are preinstalled, - All other applications are paid for on the Vtech Store.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Max XL 2.0
We have counted on the net some opinions of customers who have acquired this tablet. We list them here:
Among the advantages, we note: - Easy handling, - Stylus, - Parental control, - Educational and playful tablet, - Good design, - Many activities.
And among the disadvantages, we quote: - Expensive price, - Touch not very reactive, - Slow Internet, - Overpriced applications, - Photos not very clear, - QWERTY numeric keyboard.
Kurio Gulli Connect
Let's look at the technical part first
- Interesting visual with its shell, - From 5 years old, - 7-inch multi-touch screen, - Android 6.0, - 8 GB of internal memory, - Expandable memory up to 32 GB, - Card reader, - Front camera and rear camera (0.3 and 2 MP), - Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, - Micro USB port, - Internet filtering, - Connect functionality, - Provides access to the Play Store, - Application management, - Time management, - Control settings parental, - Several applications installed, - Rechargeable battery.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Gulli
Here we list some reviews of customers who have purchased this tablet.
The advantages include: - Lots of applications, - Easy-to-use interface, - Highly functional child mode, - High-performance tablet.
And among the drawbacks, note: - No solid, - Poor screen quality, - Insufficient memory, - Battery does not last long, - Adding complex parent account, - Old Android version.
Kits for Kurio
Several accessories reserved for the Kurio from 7 to 10-inches are sold everywhere. The most important are car mounts, car chargers, headphones, shoulder bags, travel bags and keyboards.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A
The technical characteristics of this tablet are as follows:
- Android 9.0 system, - Octo-Core processor clocked at 1.8 GHz, - 32 GB capacity, - 2 GB RAM, - 10.1-inch glossy touch screen , - Aspect ratio 16: 9, - Resolution of 1920 by 1200 px, - Front camera of 5 Mpx, - Rear webcam of 8 Mpx, - Flash Led and touch focus, - Recording of 30 fps, - Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, - Bluetooth 5.0, - Powerful battery of 6,150 mAh, - Fast charge and long battery life.
The advent of Android 9.0 has allowed Samsung to stand out by equipping all of its adult tablets with Child Mode. This mode allows it to be adapted to children.
By the way, this is a widget whose starting point is a home screen with several dedicated applications. The children's area allows you a safe and secure environment with several activities to present to your child:
- learn, - develop, - have fun, - sail and surf, - be entertained, - flourish.
These activities dive the child in a digital world safely.
The first configuration requires putting a PIN code and the child's biometric data. This setting will be requested each time you access and exit Children's Mode. Thus, the user child can only access what his parents have programmed for him.
Usage time may be limited and access to contacts and applications may be reduced. A usage report allows parents to see what their child is doing.
Games and apps
Multiple games are available on the device as well as LEGO-themed entertainment and puzzles. Thus, nearly 3000 free and paid complementary applications are in the Galaxy Apps accessible from the Kids Mode (From language learning to mathematical applications through the most famous cartoon characters).
People who bought this tablet are unanimous on its quality on its performance and on its performance. However, several of them noted the point about the battery which discharges quickly.
Other interesting tablets
Vtech Storio Max
- 7-inch HD touch screen size, - Internal memory expansion up to 40 GB, - Robust with anti-shock contours, - Operates on supplied lithium battery, - Camera, camcorder, - Micro SD card reader, - Mp3 player, - E-book reader, - Very large selection of games and cartoons, - Huge selection of movies, music and stories, - Wi-Fi, Parental control, Camera, - Educational and fun applications, - Four integrated games, - Photo album, - Cinema drawing and editing studio, - Interactive videos, - Sending family written and voice messages, - Family photos, - Free access to predetermined sites, - Parental control with settings.
- 7-inch HD touch screen with reversible display, - Internal RAM is expandable, - Shockproof design by tablet cover, - Integrated Wi-Fi uses a secure internet browser, - Stylus, game cartridge in demos, - 3 games included, - 2Mpx camera, camcorder, - A video player, - A reader, - MP3 player, educational game console, - Built-in battery with good battery life, - A secure Internet browser, - Exchange of messages, drawings, exchange of photos, - Tools: calendar, stopwatch, clock, - Video montages, - Free access to sites for children from 3 to 11 years old, - Ability to add new sites.
Lexibook - Lexitab
- 7-inch HD touch screen, - 8 GB storage + 32 GB via micro SD card, - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, - Micro USB port, audio jack port, micro SD card port, - 4 hours autonomy, - Children 6-14, - Access to Google services, - Tutoring, - Mythical games, - Protective pocket, - Time management, - Internet filtering,
Questions people ask
Are you afraid of the children's tablet?
To buy a cheap and better quality children's tablet on the internet with a view to acquiring or offering it in 2020, among the questions we ask ourselves, the following are the most frequent:
- Which children's tablet to choose? - How to choose the inexpensive children's tablet? - What is the best children's tablet? - What is about Microsoft Surface Pro LTE? - Is it better to have a laptop or a tablet for children? - What accessories should be sold free of charge with the device? - Should the tablet be tactile? - Does the cheap tablet have a good processor? Dual Core or Quad Core, - Is there the possibility to expand the internal memory? - Can we easily install the applications or are they pre-installed? - Do we have a slot for SD or micro-SD card, - Where to find the child tablet or Samsung: cheap and quality?
Choose the best inexpensive or least expensive touch tablet for children (or non-touch), and the educational tablet has become difficult as the supply is large and the functions different.
Here are some criteria to study before purchasing this High-Tech product:
Most of the existing models on the market use the Android operating system (Android tablet). They are not powerful.
Since it is intended for children, this accessory is shockproof. It is protected by a hull against breakage. A case is sometimes added.
Connected or not:
Some models do not offer internet access. But if these models are connected, browsing the internet is peaceful. They have an effective parental control system with powerful filters.
They allow you to play, watch cartoons often preinstalled, read and listen to stories. And often a multi-pixel camera is integrated. A card reader accompanies it because the internal storage space is limited and a memory card slot is provided to increase the storage capacity.
Most are Android tablets. Commercial tablets can be simple or sophisticated (quad core for example), with the play store and google play installed or not.
For or against
Unanimous opinion does not exist because there are those who are against and those who are for the use of this object by the child.
The arguments generally announced are superficial. The former ones defend preservation against the technological invader and prefer traditional reading methods. The seconds are based on the main idea of letting the child learn to live with these products. For them, children live with screens of all kinds.
Opinion of health professionals
Several conferences have discussed this problem of the use of the tablet by the child (time point of view). Doctors, teachers, psychiatrists, speech-language pathologists, psychologists and other lay people agree that the tablet has harmful effects on its use.
Among the disadvantages and harms of its use, we can cite the best known:
Wave exposure Many specialists have confirmed the danger of waves. In fact, as soon as it is connected to the internet, a tablet emits electromagnetic waves, the harmful effects of which on health, from children to adults, have been proven by several studies. A French association known for its fight for security in wireless technologies, demanded that this product be banned before the age of 6 years. This request has not yet had the desired effect.
Dangers Some fun and educational games installed are beneficial. But if the time spent in front of the screen is not respected, they are harmful to the child's sight. Excessive use of this High-Tech product can also influence the motor development of the hands. In addition, it has been shown that 2 hours of exposure to screens can generate sleep disturbances, especially in the youngest. It is therefore recommended not to let the child play at night.
Other problems It has also been proven that we remember better what we write than what we type and what we write or draw reinforce learning.
Buying a tablet is good, but be aware that there are not many applications included. So, either download free apps or pay for others. In what follows, we’ll tell you about five popular apps that are also free, but in French language:
1- Learn to read with Syllabic
The method used to teach the child to read is based on the syllables that make up the words. Thus, a series of exercises is offered to the child, and each word presented is illustrated by an image and spoken out loud.
This application is interesting despite some weaknesses:
- The interface is simple and well studied, - The educational component is interesting, - The voice is that of a robot, it is emotionless.
2- Children's piano music and song
This application allows the child to get to know the first basics of the piano while playing. The first scores are free. Then the 10 additional partitions cost only €3 maximum.
3- 10 fingers to learn to count
This application is interesting. It allows the child to:
- to count up to 10, - to work on the motor skills of the fingers, - to recognize the numbers and to know the quantities, - to learn about additions, - to count in several languages.
4- Learn letters with Kindergarten in "Servane"
The application allows the child to discover the forms of writing the letters of the alphabet. Exercises are there to put a letter in its appropriate place or to find the letter pronounced.
5- Alphamonstre to know everything about letters
It teaches the child the different ways of writing a letter, upper case, lower case, scripts and so on. Several exercises and games are included.
An address There are plenty of free applications to download or paid to buy on the net, old and new scalable applications. We recommend a single address specializing in applications for children's tablets: Applications for children's tablet which tells you about "children and screens", "tablets at school", "selection of applications" and the site has an application store for children.